ERP implementations are notorious for taking a long time to implement. What might be going on in an ERP implementation that would cause a company to believe that their project may be going “off-track,” rather than just taking a long time like they “all” do?
While it is true that ERP implementations can take a long time, more so as complexity increases, the group should always have a good feel for the “milestone” schedule and durations. When milestones such as Data Migration, Testing, Conference Room Pilots, or User Acceptance Testing start pushing by weeks, months, or – the worst – we don’t even know how much work there is before we can do that at *all* – then you know it’s time to get rescued.
- What about the vendor’s Project Manager? Why can’t that person help shore up the schedule?
- What would you recommend to companies who are concerned about their current ERP implementation schedule?
Finally, here are the Four Tips for any Project Manager in an ERP implementation:
- Dedication to the project (no higher priorities)
- Able to represent the whole company
- Continue with “hypercare” for 4-8 weeks after Go Live
- Consider the End Users and their adoption
Is your team in the middle of an ERP Implementation? We would be happy to help you assess if things are off track – contact us today or take our FREE Quick Assessment Tool (See below or download to use later!)
AJC’s Is Your ERP On Track? Quick Assessment Tool
- Do you have a documented ERP Implementation Charter with Roles and Responsibilities documented for the Implementation Core Team (both the company and vendor)?
- Is there a published Milestone Schedule to which both you and the vendor have agreed?
- Is the project currently on track to the Milestone Schedule?
- Has the Milestone Schedule been changed no more than 2 times so far?
- Do you have a forecasted number of consulting hours for the vendor’s team to help with implementation, training, and hypercare as pertaining to the Milestone Schedule?
- Does the vendor report their actual and revised forecasted hours to you regularly?
- Have the vendor’s forecasted hours to Go Live/Hypercare remained consistent?
- Is there a plan for Data Migration?
- Is there a plan for User Testing?
- Is there a plan for End User Training?
How many “Yes” answers do you have? _________________
- 8-10: Congratulations! You are on track!
- 5-7: Time to realign the Core Team; you are at risk of going off track.
- 0-4: You are off track. Time to make a change.
Contact us today to schedule a complimentary 1-hour consultation to discuss your results and how you can get back on track!