Alex Jones, a Certified Scaled Agile Program Consultant with over 20 years of Agile and Lean Transformation experience at a large semiconductor manufacturer, recently presented on how companies can use Agile in non-software related applications such as product development, knowledge work, or service related businesses.
Here are the take-aways for companies who know something about Agile and want to know where to start.
1. Make the work visual and visible
- Get a whiteboard, buy some Post-Its and Sharpies.
- Visualize the flow of work; put everything on the board.
2. Accelerate the cadence
Drop the weekly staff meetingInstead, daily stand-up in front of the board. 15 mins max.Everyone answers:
- What did I do yesterday?
- What am I working on now?
- What is getting in my way?
3. Managers: Change your behaviors
- “Culture = leader behaviours”
- Problems are opportunities for improvement. Control your “crisis voice”.
- Facilitate the immediate removal of impediments.
- Read The Work of Management for more hints.
Contact AJC if you’d like to have Alex present to your company.